Monday, March 22, 2010

What are you reading???

I usually don't read books for fun, although there are books I read for school that are sometimes interesting and fun. One of the books that I read last semester for my government class was called "In the Matter of Color - Race and the American Legal Process: The Colonial Period" by A. Leon Higginbotham, Jr.. This is a book that I would recommend because it's very interesting and the I got a lot out of it. The book is about slavery in the colonial period and talks about all the laws that were passed in response to what was going on at the time. Many believe that slavery wasn't that bad and some of us aren't taught the truth about slavery in our early years of education. Reading this book gave me a better understanding of what slavery was all about. It has a lot of specific details on laws in every state and even has examples and things of primary sources. 

On a daily basis I read articles on the newspaper. There's always a person standing in front of school giving out the Examiner newspaper. I usually read some of it on my way home. I would recommend people to read the newspaper just to be informed and to know what's going on around us.   

2 comments:

  1. haha i know what youre talking about! its a hispanic woman passing out free Examiners. :] and just like you i pretty much read the newspaper on a daily basis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation -- that sounds fascinating! I love reading the newspaper too. I got the NY Times and the LA Times apps for my phone; I like being able to browse the news in my little bits of spare time, or before I get up in the morning.

    ReplyDelete